Week 6 Story: The Loose Cannon and the Tight Cannon

An updated version of this story can be found on my portfolio.
Bojack Horseman (Deviant Art)
Bojack Horseman, star of the hit 90s sitcom, "Horsin' Around," got hungry after a long night of drinking, but he decided that he didn't want more pizza after the 8 boxes he had already eaten for lunch. So, he got into his car and started driving to Ry McFly's Thai Fries for High Guys by Mai Tye's Tie-Dye Neckties & more.
Now, Bojack was driving with the radio on full blast to drown out the voice in his head that tells him he's not good enough. Since the radio was so loud, he couldn't hear the sound of the police sirens behind him. In fact, the police car was behind him for about ten minutes before Bojack realized. Bojack proceeded to pull over to the side of the highway. He has had many DUI's before, and he knew exactly what to do.
He rolled down his window to the sight of two police officers. The older of the two was Meow Meow Fuzzyface, a loose cannon who gets results but sees himself more of a reckless renegade. The other police officer was Officer Fuzzyface's stepson, Bark Bark Fluffybutt. Officer Fluffybutt was nervous because it was his first day on the job, and he was being trained by his stepdad.
"I'll let you handle this one, Bark Bark," Officer Fuzzyface said.
"Don't call me Bark Bark while we're on the job! Call me Officer Fluffybutt," Officer Fluffybutt said.
"Alright, Officer Fluffybutt. Whatever you say," Officer Fuzzyface replied and took a step back.
Officer Fluffybutt looked into the car at a drunk and confused Bojack Horseman.
"Hey, aren't you the horse from "Horsin' Around?"" Officer Fluffybutt said excitedly.
Bojack replied, "Yes, it's me. The horse from "Horsin' Around." What? Do you want an autograph or something?"
Officer Fluffybutt got so excited that he was going to get an autograph from his childhood hero that his tail began to wag back and forth, but he remembered that he was on the job. He thought to himself, "What would Meow Meow do?" He admired Meow Meow very much even though he would never admit it. In fact, he became a police officer to be just like Meow Meow. So, he proceeded to do exactly what he thought Officer Fuzzyface would do.
"Shut up, scumbag! Give me your license and registration." Officer Fluffybutt said.
He looked to his stepdad for approval, but Meow Meow began to chuckle at Officer Fluffybutt's remark.
Officer Fluffybutt said worriedly, "What? Am I not doing a good job?"
"No, Officer Fluffybutt. You're doing a great job," Officer Fuzzyface said through his laughter.
Bojack realized he could exploit this new officer to get out of a DUI.
Bojack laughed and said, "First day on the job, huh? I've been there. Look, how about I give you an autograph and you let me off with a stern warning? We can put this all behind us."
"Fat chance, punk! You may think that because you're a celebrity that the law doesn't apply to you, but I'm going to come down on you with the swift hammer of justice," Officer Fluffybutt replied.
Officer Fuzzyface began to roar with laughter.
"Swift hammer of justice? What comic book did you take that one from?" Officer Fuzzyface said.
"You know I stopped reading comic books when I was 12! Stop making fun of me!" Officer Fluffybutt said angrily.
He pulled his stepdad aside to have a private talk with him.
"Look, you can't keep embarrassing me on the job like this. I'm a real cop now! If we're going to be working together, I need you to give me some respect. I'm trying my best here. I'm just doing what I think you would do," Officer Fluffybutt said.
"I know you are," Officer Fuzzyface said. "That's why it's so funny, Bark Bark. I see you doing your thing and it's just a worse version of what I do. You have to develop your own police identity, something that works for you," he continued.
Bojack got tired of waiting and he drove off as the two officers were talking to each other.
Officer Fluffybutt said, "Hey. Where did that horse go? We have to go get him!"
"Oh, we can just get him another day. Bojack is always driving drunk nowadays." Officer Fuzzyface said.
They both got into their police car and drove away.

Author's Note: The original story I based this on was The Partridge and the Crow. In that story, the partridge had a beautiful strut that the crow admired, so the crow began to try to imitate the partridge's strut. He looked silly doing it because he is a crow, and the partridge made fun of him and told him to stop. The crow continued to try and imitate the partridge's walk, and he ended up not resembling the partridge or his former self. I tried to recreate the theme of that story in my story with characters from the show Bojack Horseman. Both Officer Meow Meow Fuzzyface and Bojack and characters from the show, but I made up the character Officer Bark Bark Fluffybutt. I based the character of Officer Fluffybutt on the crow in the original story by having him try to emulate his stepdad's success. Meow Meow Fuzzyface is the partridge in this story because he is being imitated and tells his stepson to be himself. I felt like the lesson of the original story was to be yourself because you look silly when you try to be anyone else, so I tried to bring that to this story. I also added the situation of Bojack getting pulled over for comedic effect.

Bibliography: The Partridge and the Crow by Maude Barrows Dutton

Comments

  1. Hey Darren!

    I think what I enjoyed most about your story is how you adapted a personal interest into an assignment. I remember from your introduction that you said you enjoyed the show Bojack Horseman, so that was cool to see.
    Past that, I appreciated how you kept the tone of the original story, while modernizing and adjusting the story to fit your personal flare.

    Best,
    - JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best story I've read all semester! You totally captured Bojack's character, you must be a big fan. I aspire to be at your level of story-writing-awesome-ness. I love a story that makes me laugh. The humour was spot on. I think it's really cool how you took a classic fable and turned into some weird, hilarious, Bojack Horseman fanfiction. Truly a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What’s up Darren,
    This was such a fun read and you did a great job at coming out and grabbing the readers attention. I especially thought it was cool how you included your interest of Bojack Horseman into this story. I really think you did a great job of keeping the plot and tone from the original story. Great job and I cant wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darren,

    I think that is probably the most creative of all stories I have read this semester. It was one of the only stories that I genuinely enjoyed reading too. It was hilarious! I will definitely make it a point to stop by your blog in order to read more. The fact that there was any plot behind that story is hilarious to me because the story was so goofy.

    Good luck,
    Brady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darren,

      I think that is probably the most creative of all stories I have read this semester. It was one of the only stories that I genuinely enjoyed reading too. It was hilarious! I will definitely make it a point to stop by your blog in order to read more. The fact that there was any plot behind that story is hilarious to me because the story was so goofy.

      Good luck,
      Brady

      *Resubmitting in order to have my name appear on the comment

      Delete
  5. Hey, Darren!

    I love what you did with this story--extremely creative and hilarious! I really enjoyed the names and couldn't stop laughing throughout the story. The message of the original story shines through in your version and I think you used the two officers perfectly to show how imitating others often leads to a poor imitation and lack of identity. I like how you are weaving BoJack into every story and am really excited to read your other BoJack stories this semester!

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Darren!

    Like usual I really enjoyed your story. I actually have never seen the show before so I wasn't sure if you just based it off of prewritten officer characters. I think it is great that you created officer Bark Bark! Your dialogue felt natural and developed your made up character and placed the already existing characters in the story! Really great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment